World Refugee Day

Jun 2019

World Refugee Day – 20 June 2019

In a world where violence forces thousands of families to flee for their lives each day, the time is now to show that the global public stands with refugees. Around the world, communities, schools, businesses, faith groups and people from all walks of life are taking big and small steps in solidarity with refugees.

This year UNHCR has launched the #stepwithrefugees campaign to mark World Refugee Day; the idea behind this campaign is that people forced to flee violence and persecution take extraordinary risks to reach safety for their families. At a time of unprecedented global displacement, people are coming together to honor the resilience and determination of refugees and walk in solidarity with them.

The campaign challenges people to cover one billion miles in 12 months, the same number of miles refugees worldwide travel each year to reach the nearest point of safety.

3 Facts about Refugees:

  1. Refugees are people forced to flee to another country because of war or persecution.They are recognized as “refugees” because it is too dangerous for them to return home and they are protected by international law.
  2. The majority of refugees stay close to homewith most fleeing to neighboring countries.Only 1% of refugees are ever resettled in third countries. Turkey hosts the most refugees followed by Pakistan, Uganda and Lebanon.
  3. Around the world, fewer than a third of people forced to flee live in refugee camps.Most refugees are actually struggling to survive in cities and towns. This is especially true for Syrian refugees.


There are almost 2.5 million registered refugees from Afghanistan. They comprise the largest protracted refugee population in Asia, and the second largest refugee population in the world. In light of the increasingly deteriorating security situation in many parts of the country, the violence continues to drive people from their homes.

According to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), an astonishing number of 1,728,157 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) is currently living in host communities throughout Afghanistan. The majority of IDPs – 86 percent (1,481,923) – had been displaced by conflict, while the remaining 14 percent (246,234) had been forced to leave their homes due to natural disasters, such as floods, avalanches and earthquakes.

According to UNHCR, only in 2019 about 132,171 persons were forcibly displaced within their country. 2,477 refugees residing in neighbouring countries had the opportunity to safely return to Afghanistan in 2019; however, many returnees and IDPs are living in extreme poverty and some 101,606 returnees are now living in tents or in the open air.

Action for Development stands in solidarity with refugees and with the Afghan population, afflicted by protracted situations of conflict and instability. AfD aims at supporting Afghan communities through the implementation of community-based projects in the area of health and education.

Please visit our website,, for more information about our projects and how you can help!

If you would like more information about World Refugee Day please visit:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *